Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The Sun Set

JAKE: It's about time to hit the dusty trail. As Chad and Jeremy sing, "they say that all good things must end someday. . ." Blah, blah, blah. I call it the vacation frustration or the trip dip or the vacation degradation. I'm willing to take any suggestions you might have. It happened to me at dinner tonight. The feeling that this is pretty much over and you have to go back to the real world. It can be a downer, but oh well.
Tuesday, we decided to do nothing, that's right, absolutely nothing. Sure, we could have pulled out our Rick Steve's guidebook and seen what we had missed so far, but he's the one that says the Italians in this area have the saying of "the sweetness of doing nothing." It it so sweet, it tastes like gelato. We slept in, took our time getting ready, soaking in some sun on our balcony and headed to Amalfi. We at a lunch facing the piazza, guessed some nationalities (which should definitely be a game show), and moved to another outside spot to sip a cappuccino. We decided to head for the beach, which was quite the people-watching spectacle. One might say that if the piazza was the indie film that might have won some Sundance awards, the beach was the summer blockbuster. Take every quirky nationality and put them at a spot that reduces the amount of acceptable clothing (and I use the word "acceptable" and "clothing" loosely). You know how we post rules in the US everywhere about shirt, shoes, and service? I can't find those signs in Europe. I have decided to discuss these issues in our last remaining sidebars.
SIDEBAR #1: I have heard that women suffer from a self-image problem, and I'm sorry, I struggle to see it at times. If you can honestly look yourself in the mirror and say that you should be wearing a bikini, you don't struggle with your self-image. There were a lot of people at the beach (Americans included) who stretched every last inch of elastic to tie those bikini straps together.
SIDEBAR #2: Speaking of bikinis, everyone's favorite, the male European swimsuit. Bikini bottoms. First off, many of the men who wear these need bikini tops, because of their "moobs." Second, one guy opted for just using his underwear as his swimsuit. Really, just that? We later noticed he actually had a normal-looking swimsuit as well but thought everyone needed to see him walk around in his underwear. If I did that in the States, I would have to go door-to-door in my neighborhood to let them know I moved in. Thirdly, do you want your kid hanging around a beach with creepy guys in next to nothing scoping out the scene. Which brings me to. . .
SIDEBAR #3: Why aren't your kids wearing clothes???!!! What about sand and water says it's okay for your kids to be completely naked? I'm not referring to kids under 2 or even under 3 or 4, but between 5-13. A little girl should be wearing a shirt. I feel uncomfortable sitting nearing a young girl just playing in her underwear (not a swimsuit, underwear), especially when a 10 year-old boy is getting completely naked 5 feet away. Can you not change before you get there? When creepy thong guy is standing nearby, do you want your little boy/girl taking all of their clothes off in plain view? Also, what's the point of using their undershirt to wipe them off when they get out of the water? When they put it back on, aren't they getting sand and water back on them? Euros are very odd at the beach. Luckily, no one used the beach as a public toilet (that I could tell), which brings me to . . .
SIDEBAR #4: There was a restroom near the beach that I needed to use. I had to pay 1 Euro (over a $1) to pee. More than a $1???? If I must have to pay, and I have had to several times on this trip, there better be a piano player in the bathroom, a man in a tux turning on the water and providing fresh linens for my hands, and the cleanest urinals I have ever seen. Are you surprised to learn this isn't the case? No, while there might have been some elevator music playing, they're rarely clean, and a creepy guy, who choses to spend his days inhaling poop fumes, handed me one small paper towel. One tiny paper towel and where have his hands been? I don't trust the guy hanging out in the toilet area has the cleanest hands. Maybe that's my issue. Plus, to top it off, the lights went off when Julie was using the restroom. Guess what, no refund. If you have to pay to use restroom, the lights should stay on.
There are so many minor annoyances in traveling to a different country, and I only give Europe a hard time because I know it's a well-developed area, yet they choose to act like they don't have or want modern conveniences. These annoyances are nothing and don't come close to ruining our trip. Italy is really amazing, the food and scenery are very unique. All of the Italians we have encountered have been really nice as well, save for the few annoyed ones; however, Americans are generally the most irritating international travelers, rarely attempting another language. Italians aren't ugly in physical appearance, it's just their manner of dress. I say that because they say is the fashion hub, but please they're wearing what appear to be starter jackets without a logo everywhere. Plus, since France and Europe kick our butt in food, culture, and wine, I like to have something on them. I hope to be back soon and hope to hear from Italians telling me what's wrong with USA, which I'm sure is very entertaining. Until then. . .

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait to hear more about the trip and see more pictures. Sounds like a great trip though.

    ReplyDelete